PDA

View Full Version : OT - I beat type II diabetes

Polar Bear
Jul 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
BREAKING NEWS: I am no longer considered "diabetic". My latest A1C was 5.3 meaning that I managed to stay in the normal range for 4 consecutive visits. My doctor took me off all diabetic medications. I've lost 150 lbs. since my diagnosis last June. I plan to continue my weight loss through my own program of eating right and journaling my foods. I retired my medic alert bracelet the minute I left the doctors office. Just for the record the total weight loss since October of 2009 is 270 lbs.

ansky
Jul 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
congrats from a type2 member also

Polar Bear
Jul 2, 2013, 11:13 AM
congrats from a type2 member also

Thanks! Check out these pics1680016801

Polar Bear
Jul 2, 2013, 11:15 AM
For the record...I weigh 310 lbs today. The battle continues.

Plumhead2
Jul 2, 2013, 2:52 PM
I know the struggle. Two years ago I was pre-diabetic. Then I lost 101 lbs and my tests came back normal. Still have about sixty pounds left to go. Working out has helped too. Great story! I'm pulling for you.

kitten
Jul 2, 2013, 6:03 PM
Congratulations! that is no small task and should be celebrated! Yes, the battle continues but it is so worth it!
I applaud you and your pictures look great!

I was pre-diabetic and have lost 50 pounds and feel so much better. Keep it up and best wishes to you!

R. R. Wayne
Jul 2, 2013, 7:48 PM
Job well underway.

tenni
Jul 2, 2013, 10:06 PM
Congratulations!! It is quite interesting the changes that happened in your face. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope that you can keep it off. I heard recently that if you can keep the weight off for five years you usually have made a life long positive change and will maintain that weight give or take 15 pounds.

My nephew recently lost 90lb in four months. It has made quite change in not only his appearance but I think/hope it has altered his attitude towards life. ..not sure but I see signs of improvement. Have you found that the weight loss has altered your attitude positively?

Dead Account
Jul 2, 2013, 10:08 PM
Awesome! Keep it up!

Tanzanite
Jul 2, 2013, 10:18 PM
That is fantastic! Way to go, you are an inspiration to me.

DuckiesDarling
Jul 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
Wow, congrats, keep up the great work. Many people struggle day to day with weight caused by various ailments, posts like this give everyone hope for the future. Thanks.

onewhocares
Jul 2, 2013, 11:33 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

onewhocares
Jul 2, 2013, 11:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sorry I don't know what happed so I shall start again. Congratulations on the weight loss. You look great! I too may be at risk and am taking steps to keep the weight off. May I ask how others have accomplished the weight loss?

Polar Bear
Jul 3, 2013, 6:56 AM
Congratulations!! It is quite interesting the changes that happened in your face. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope that you can keep it off. I heard recently that if you can keep the weight off for five years you usually have made a life long positive change and will maintain that weight give or take 15 pounds.

My nephew recently lost 90lb in four months. It has made quite change in not only his appearance but I think/hope it has altered his attitude towards life. ..not sure but I see signs of improvement. Have you found that the weight loss has altered your attitude positively?

Tenni, the changes have been an on-going process of taking charge of my own health. The medical community have a deeply seeded fat bias towards their patients. Getting the proper medical advise and treatment for obese patients is a crap shoot unless you become proactive in your research. Go to your doctor armed with the knowledge and questions you need to ask and be prepared to change doctors if you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting. I was hospitalized back in 2009 because I passed out from exhaustion in the ER. The medical team immediately performed a tracheotomy because I was obese. As it turns out, I did not need a tracheotomy, I was suffering from the aftereffects of sleep apnea. Once admitted, the treatment deteriorated. They never cleaned me correctly causing a very serious infection to my legs. I also got a respiratory infection while at the hospital. At one point in my stay, someone decided that I wasn't going to survive and transferred me to a hospice. My wife forced them to move me back to the hospital. Only one doctor actually understood what was happening and stepped in to help. He recognized the sleep apnea issues and began treatment immediately. Once we got a handle on that, I was slated to spend several months recuperating. This inspired me to take charge of my own treatment. I managed to get out of bed and walk. I literally told them that I would be leaving the hospital in 3 weeks whether they agreed or not. My wife took charge of my leg infection and got it to heal. Once I left the hospital I suffered another three months with a trach in my neck. My quality of life with this device seemed to me to be worse than the issue it was being used for. Once again, I did my research and found better treatments for my condition. I finally decided the trach was coming out. I went to the doctor and asked him to remove it. He refused! I had to tell him it was coming out whether he did it or I did it. He finally and reluctantly complied. I still use a CPAP to control my sleep apnea but other than that my health has been improving ever since. The moral of this story is to take charge of your health. Do your research. Don't take everything the doctors say as gospel. Get second opinions!!! Do your part to recover. As a result of my proactive approach to my health care I beat type II diabetes into remission. I feel great!

Yoyome100
Jul 3, 2013, 6:59 AM
Congrats John!

ontarioguy41
Jul 3, 2013, 5:30 PM
OUTSTANDING!!
I love to hear success stories like this! Bravo!

Polar Bear
Jul 4, 2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks to all, but the battle is never over.:soapbox::soapbox: